Today has been Lincoln’s Birthday, but unfortunately it was not a day off of work.
I used this picture in my post President’s, Presidents’ or Presidents which is about what is the correct way to refer to the holiday next Monday.
See: Marx Presidents
I will list the ones shown here:
- Lincoln: A Novel by Gore Vidal
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Abe Lincoln Gets His Chance by Frances Cavanah
- Lincoln at Peoria: The Turning Point by Lewis E. Lehrman
- Abraham Lincoln by George McGovern
- Abraham Lincoln: The Boy and the Man by James Morgan
- Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words that Made America by Garry Wills
- Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard
- Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years by Carl Sandburg
Also shown is Gettysburg by MacKinlay Kantor. I had not planned on it being in the picture but I had picked it up while looking for the Lincoln books and I didn’t notice that I had included it. The book is about the Civil War battle and not the speech.
I also have a book about Robert Todd Lincoln. Giant in the Shadows: The Life of Robert T. Lincoln by Jason Emerson is a well researched book about the only son of President Lincoln that lived past the age of 18. He is definitely overshadowed by his father and I look forward to reading this book someday. It is near the top of my to-read list. However, my to-read list is ever shifting so who knows when I will get to it 🙂
Did you take time to remember this great president today?