Green Mound Cemetery

Tonight I will share some pictures from Green Mound Cemetery which is near Trenton, Iowa.

Trenton Iowa, Henry County, Iowa, Green Mound, LeeperHere is a satellite view of the cemetery from Google Maps. The graves that I will be showing pictures of are in about the middle just above the word Cemetery.

Henry County Iowa, Trenton Township, Absalom Leeper, Iowa, ancestorIn this picture from my post Leeper Land you can see the cemetery on the right edge. The red outline is the quarter section that belonged to Absolom Leeper.

green mound, trenton, iowa, church building, cemeteryI will start with the historic Green Mound church building which is just across the road from the cemetery. I like the classic look of rural church buildings, especially if they have a bell tower.

Absalom Leeper Tombstone - 106 years old - Early Pioneer - Henry County, IowaI will start with a picture of the grave stone of Absalom Leeper my 4th Great Grandfather. He died in 1896 and the age on the stone is shown at 106 years. However, he was only 97 at his death. I am still doing some research for a post which will help explain why his age is wrong.

Mary Thomas Leeper, Green Mound CemeteryHere is the grave stone for his wife Mary Thomas Leeper who died in 1881 at the age of 83.

absalom and mary leeper, graves, green mound cemetery, trenton, iowaHere is a view of the Leeper grave stones. There are also graves for Absalom’s three daughters in the cemetery. I do not have a picture of the first one.

Sarah Perkins Leeper Moore died in 1858 at the age of 30 and was the first of the family to be buried in the cemetery.

Update: Sarah was originally buried in the Moore Cemetery near Washington, Iowa. Her remains were moved to Green Mound in about 1910.

Lovicey Leeper Bain, green mound cemeteryLovicy E. Leeper Henderson Bain died in 1870 and was also only 30 years old. She died shortly after a son who only lived of a month, so perhaps there were complications from the birth.

Tabitha Leeper Land, Green Mound cemetery, trenton, iowaTabitha Leeper Land died in 1884 at the age of 52.

One of the sons of Absalom is also buried in the cemetery. Dr. John Alexander Leeper died in Anamosa, Iowa in 1890, but was brought home for burial.

My Third Great Grandfather, William Absolom Leeper, moved away from Henry County and died in 1913 in Guthrie County, Iowa. He was 87 years old.

As I wrote this tonight I found that I need to do some more research on this family group. I am missing a bit of information that should be in my records.

This entry was posted in Family History, Genealogy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Green Mound Cemetery

1. Janet Clark says:

Hi, My 3rd great grandfather, John Alexander is a brother to Absalom Leeper. My great grandfather is the very image of Absalom. I can send a picture of my great grandfather, John Jacob Leeper. I was 13 when he died and remember him quite well. We have been to Absalom’s grave, the church he is credited with starting and the home in Trenton he built. He has led to another brother Samuel Sr. who was involved with starting South Bend, Indiana.

• vanbraman says:

Hi Janet, I would like to see the picture. I know a little about the Samual Sr. branch. He has some interesting descendants.

• Janet Clark says:

These pictures show great grandpa John Jacob Leeper and his wife Nora (Hershberger) with my father Herbert in 1952. The other is just John Jacob in about 1956 and the other picture is Samuel Clinton Leeper, Jacob’s father and son of John Alexander circa 1915 with a granddaughter. Samuel Sr was indeed an interesting read and his son David Rohrer Leeper is even better. David wrote a couple books, one was called “Leeper Lineage” and he talks about visiting the great grandfather James (brother to Allen and Matthew) place in Pennsylvania in 1898 with his half brother Samuel Jr. He describes his grandfather James size and hair color and also his father, Samuel Sr size etc. Unfortunately it is only available to save and then print through a family history center. I was able to do that last fall. It is still under copyright. I also was able to view the book at the Indianapolis State Library this summer and I have the pages saved and printed. David also wrote “Argonauts of 49” which I’m sure you’ve heard of if you did any research into that line of Samuel Sr. I ordered a copy of that through Amazon and it is very interesting. We have a letter that John Jacob wrote to Samuel Jr. after he graduated from Valparaiso Normal School looking for an accounting job. Don’t know if he ever got a response as great grandpa taught in some of the Amish schools around Marshall County. I was born and raised in Bremen where John Alexander settled around the same time (mid 1830’s) as Samuel Sr. We were always told we weren’t related to the “South Bend Leepers” for some reason. I have 3 brothers and one sister, one brother has passed away but the other two look like great great grandpa Samuel Clinton. By the way Samuel Clinton and his wife Caroline Fries had a son among others that they named Clinton Samuel! The Leepers weren’t very creative name wise! I have been working on a book with all of this line I can find. There is a Leeper-Kline house in South Bend on the National Register of Historic Places that Samuel Sr and Samuel Jr had built for his wedding house. Kline refers to the people who bought it in 1970 and restored and refurbished it. I have visited with them the past 2 summers and learned alot more. Unfortunately they are in their 80’s and not well and are working at culling their library and donating many of their books and I believe will be selling the house within the next couple years. I had seen Braman’s wanderings a few years ago and was thinking about it this weekend while at a scrapbook retreat and decided to look at it again and come across the Absalom picture again which is what started it all for me about 4 years ago. Thank you for your time. Do you know the reason now that the dates for his birth is wrong and the story about his near drowning? Janet Leeper Clark

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 12:02 AM Braman’s Wanderings < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

vanbraman commented: “Hi Janet, I would like to see the picture. I know a > little about the Samual Sr. branch. He has some interesting descendants.” >

• Janet Clark says:

Here are a couple more pictures, One is the Leeper-Kline house in South Bend, the black and white is my brother Gene who looks like Samuel Clinton and his grandson who looks like my dad. The last picture is myself and my youngest brother David who also looks like Samuel Clinton. I thought you would like the beards and hair! That does seem to be a Leeper trait, from the eyebrows up and the beards. I have a nephew that looks very much like David Rohrer. Pretty neat. I see that you have seen the books I mentioned above. I’ve loved all my research and just this weekend found a couple stories I had not seen, mainly about Lovicey and Tabitha. Hope I’m not overdoing it. Thanks.

• vanbraman says:

Hi Janet, the pictures do not come through with the comments. I would like to see them. I sent you an e-mail, so you should have mine now.

2. vanbraman says:

Janet, we probably also have a Hershberger connection. I have a 4th great grandmother Catherine Hershberger. My ancestry is 1/4 Amish. I just sent you an e-mail to your oc**** gmail account which showed up in my app as where the comments came from. Steven