Hamburg Main Street II

I have been thinking about Hamburg, Iowa today, so thought I would share another find from my Grandmother’s scrapbooks.

Hamburg Iowa Main Street 1913 - O. G. Lorimor Photographer - Oliver Graham Lorimor

This picture of Hamburg’s Main street was taken in 1913 by O. G. Lorimor. Mr. Lorimor spent more than 50 years taking pictures in Hamburg. He captured many of the changes to both the buildings and the people of Hamburg.

Here is a self portrait of O. G. Lorimor that he took in the 1910’s.

Oliver Graham Lorimor - Photographer - Hamburg, Iowa

I love the great handlebar mustache that he has in this picture. Oliver Graham Lorimor was born in Ohio in 1873 and died in Hamburg, Iowa in 1960.

The pictures above were printed in the Hamburg Reporter to celebrate his 50th anniversary of business. My grandmother clipped out one of the tributes to him, and here is the text from it:

Fifty years ago, on June 11, 1906, you entered business in Hamburg, entered to stay. This week your fellow businessmen of Hamburg take this means to congratulate you on your long and honorable career among us. May you have many more successful years ahead.

Much that is good has been recorded by your cameras – family albums in this region bulge with treasured photographs labeled “Photo By Lorimor” – from birth, through graduation, into marriage, and to silver and golden anniversaries you have faithfully recorded and preserved with pictures the highlights of our lives.

You and Mrs. Lorimor raised five fine children here, through three wars, two depressions, many floods, and many drouths. You have enriched your community through fifty years, giving everyone an enviable goal of honesty, integrity, success, health, and happiness.

We Salute You!

The post would not be complete without a few more pictures of Hamburg Main Street.

George Shane Painting - Hamburg, Iowa - Vapor Trails

Visit my post, Hamburg Winter Sky, to find out more about this painting.

Hamburg, Iowa Main Street - Flagpole in intersection

The picture above appeared in my original post on Hamburg Main Street. You can click on the link to see a few more pictures of how Hamburg Main street looks today.

This entry was posted in Memories and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Hamburg Main Street II

1. Mom says:

Amazing how 100 years ago doesnt seem so remote, until you see a photo like this of a familiar place. What a difference!
    With the name “Hamburg” did they rename any streets during the anti-german / war years? Lots of this was done in Indianapolis

2. Boomdeeadda says:

Families really endured hardships over his lifetime. I love looking at pictures of the past from the street view. I’ve always like awnings and actually had them installed on our old home at the lake…striped aqua and blue.

3. Pingback: Old Football Program | Braman's Wanderings

4. Pingback: Hamburg Centennial | Braman's Wanderings

5. Stephen Lorimor says:

Thank you so much for posting this. O. G. Lorimor was my great-grandfather (Oliver Graham Lorimor). I see the family resemblance when I look at the photo. It’s wonderful to see such a good photo of a man so integral in my family history.

• Brent Lorimor says:

oliver would have been my great uncle, walter was my grandfather. we still live in Fremont county.

6. M. Lorimor says:

Thank you so much for posting this picture of Oliver Graham Lorimor, photographer of Hamburg, Iowa. My late husband, another O. G. Lorimor, was his grandson. The only pictures I have seen of his grandfather were portraits of an elderly man. This self-portrait of a much younger man is a welcome addition to our family’s treasured pictures. M. Lorimor

7. Stephen Lorimor says:

As my mother said, this would be a treasured item in our family. If you ever decide to part with this photo from your Grandmother’s album, know it would be framed and have a place of honor in our family.

8. Stephanie Fletcher Bake says:

I wouldst suppose you would have any pictures of of anyone named Fletcher would you?? My dad’s family lived there until maybe the 1930’s. I have always wondered what they looked like.