Home Pride Update XLVI – Back on the Shelves

Last Saturday when I returned home from Mexico my first stop was at the grocery store to pick up a loaf of Home Pride Bread.

Home Pride Bread - Home Pride Bread is Back - Flowers Foods - Butter Top Wheat

I had a little trouble finding it as it was on a temporary display instead of on the bread shelves.

This week I was able to follow my normal Saturday routine and found Home Pride Bread on the shelf in the grocery section at Target.

Home Pride Bread - Buttertop Wheat - Bread on the Shelf - Return of Home Pride

I was glad to see that it once again had a designated place on the shelf. I looked at the tag, and it didn’t say Home Pride Bread. It simply said Sliced Bread, but I think this was a preemptive measure by Flowers Foods so that they would have a place for Home Pride in their section of the bread aisle.

Home Pride Wheat - Butter Top Bread - Flowers Foods - Home Pride is Back - Wheat Bread

This is such a nice sight to see that I had to take another picture of just the Home Pride Wheat bread.

This week I have had several comments on my many Home Pride Update posts about people finding Home Pride in their stores. The general consensus is that it tastes the same as before. Of course, this is what Flowers Foods was making sure would be the case. They want the loyal customers of the Hostess breads to return as loyal customers of the Flowers Foods breads.

I have had a good week of trying some of my favorite sandwiches with Home Pride Bread.

PBJ with Home Pride Wheat Bread - Peanut Butter - Apricot Preserves - Sandwich - Flowers Foods - Return of Home Pride

My first sandwich last week when I made it Home to Home Pride was a PBJ.

Since that time I have tried different jams and jellies with peanut butter,  butter, honey, tuna salad and of course my daily toast. I also just enjoyed several slices of bread without anything on it.

Grilled Cheese - Home Pride Bread - Iron Skillet - Comfort Food

This evening I decided it was time for a grilled cheese sandwich made with Home Pride Bread. I fired up the stove with my cast iron skillet and proceeded to grill one up.  I did use a little bit too much butter, but it was still good 🙂

It has been almost eleven months since I posted Not My Bread!! and I am glad that Home Pride Bread is finally back on the shelves.

I still have a couple posts up my sleeve, but the Home Pride Updates will soon cease. Maybe I should make it to Home Pride Update L and make it stand for last. Hmmmm……

One of the posts will probably be about my motivations to blog about bread.

Are you enjoying the return of Home Pride and Wonder Bread?

This entry was posted in Bread, Food and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Home Pride Update XLVI – Back on the Shelves

1. Lyle Krahn says:

The end of a journey.

2. Hurray! It’s back! And I assume, since you have not said anything to the contrary, that is is as tasty as ever? Really pleased this is resolved for you, Steven!

3. Glenda McDougal says:

Yes, but I don’t dare eat as much as you have 🙂

4. Sheryl says:

It’s good to know that Home Pride bread is back on the shelves. 🙂

5. Brett says:

I’m still keeping an eye out until it shows back up in our stores here in the Columbus, OH market! Until then I have to satisfy myself with Nature’s Own, which is almost as good.

6. Jim Purcell (The Adventurer) says:

Was shocked today to find Home Pride back on the shelves, I knew some of Wonder’s brands had started to return, and I was holding out hope. But it was still a wonderful surprise. I too started eating Home Bride brand as a kid when my mother switched from White to Wheat. And I’ve always stuck with it. When Wonder went out of business I was sad to see it go, but at the time I thought ‘Its just Bread, I’ll find something else’. But good gravy, 11 months latter and I NEVER FOUND AN ADEQUATE REPLACEMENT!! I was dumb founded that no other brand of bread seem to be as moist or as rich as Home Pride Butter Top Wheat. Even other’ Butter Top or Split Top brands were nowhere’s near close. It was crazy.

But today the long national nightmare is over, edible sliced bread has returned, and its as good as I remember. Moist, rich, textured bread that almost has a ‘snap’ to it when you bite in. Mmmm. Nothing else comes close.

I just random google searched to see if anyone else cared about the return of this bread brand, and was impressed to find these blog posts. I’m glad to see someone else cares about this brand of bread as much as I did.

7. Boomdeeadda says:

LOL, hallelujah you finally got your bread. Grilled cheese is one of my favourites too, although as you noted, I wouldn’t use as much butter 😀

8. William Smith says:

I know it’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed my Home Pride, but is it just me or are the slices quite a bit thinner? The taste is the same but for some reason it just seems thinner. I know it’s different bakeries making it, could it just be an equipment thing, or am I just wrong and it was always this thin?

9. Karen says:

I found Home Pride on a display just like that last week here in Arkansas. I was so glad! I bought two loaves, because I knew I’d be having sandwiches again.

When I checked out, the clerk asked me how I was doing. I replied, “Great! You had my favorite bread again, finally.” She saw the two loaves , remarked she’d have to try it and that another customer had just bought a loaf of it a few minutes before, saying the same thing. Then the person in line behind me held up the loaf she had in her cart and we all laughed.

Thank you, Flowers Foods!

• Tina says:

Can you tell me where in Arkansas you found this bread,, its my fathers favorite, he lives in Ft.Smith & still he can not find it anywhere?? 😦

10. sflour4 says:

I found your blog when I was searching for Home Pride after it first disappeared from the store shelves & enjoyed reading of your voracious research and testing of various brands. I haven’t checked it in awhile, but now that Home Pride is back, I’m glad to see you’re back to testing and have photos of the actual store stands! Great work. BTW, the first sandwich I made when HPB returned was an old childhood fave ~ bologna & mayo (Hellman’s, of course). I was so glad to find the taste was still the same. Thanks for continuing your saga of Home Pride!

11. Pingback: Home Pride Update XLVII – Geographic Expansion | Braman's Wanderings

12. Ron says:

I cannot find Home Pride Bread in Fort Myers Florida. It use to be here in Florida but recently they are saying that Home Pride is not being made any longer. It has been discontinued completely per what Publix’s Grocery Store Chain is saying here Florida, Fort Myers.

13. Pingback: Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day | Braman's Wanderings