Tonight I was looking through a set of Geography Cards from 1883. For more information about them see my post: Early Flash Cards
A few of the cards caught my eye, so I will share them tonight.
- The Greatest Military Power in the World – This was before the World Wars.
- Consists of twenty-six States. – There are sixteen states today (blog idea).
- Has the Best Schools In the World – Is this still true?
- The Rhine is the Chief River – Still the same.
- Martin Luther lived here – Still a fact.
- One of the Five Great Powers of Europe – Still one of the five most important countries.
- The Most Powerful Government in the World – Not anymore.
- Has Twenty Thousand Merchant Vessels – Nice fact.
- The Sun never sets on its Dominions. – This was true in 1883.
- A Constitutional Monarchy. – This is still true.
- Owns British America, Hindostan and Australia. – Not anymore.
- Holy Land of the Bible.
- Contains same area as Maryland.
- Contains the Dead Sea and the River Jordan.
- The Land that Moses saw, but was not permitted to enter.
- Where the Wars of the Crusades were fought.
- In the Strait of Malacca, on an Island of the same name.
- Owned by Great Britain – No longer true.
- One of the Most Important Ports of the East.
- An Important Station for Ships between India and China.
- City on an Island
- Burns down every seven years. – Edo had 97 major fires between 1603 and 1868.
- Capital of Japan.
Which of these cards is the most interesting?